You have decided to charter a yacht in the British Virgin Islands. A BVI yacht charter can range from a bareboat charter in the Virgin Islands (meaning without any ancillary amenities or services) up through a fully crewed and provisioned luxury private yacht charter. Here are our check list to help you to choose the right yacht charter for your sailing holiday needs:
- At the most basic level, do you want to charter a power yacht or a sailing yacht? While we generally prefer sailing yachts, we have also chartered power boats, and the right answer depends on your personal preference and your experience with sailing yachts and power boats.
- What type of boat do you want? Do you want a catamaran or do you want a mono hall boat? Increasingly those chartering yachts have chosen catamarans, but it depends on what you prefer and also where (shallow water or deeper water) you are planning your trip. Based on our experience, shallow waters would favor a catamaran, whereas deeper waters favor a mono hall boat. Tips: Catamarans offer substantially more room in the cabin and on the deck. They tend to sail flatter and with less roll– which can be good if your crew is susceptible to seasickness.
- How much luxury do you want with your yacht charter experience? Do you want to cook on board? If so, you can self-provision or hire a provisioning service. Do you want to eat onshore some or all of the time? The Virgin Islands, and especially the British Virgin Islands, offer plentiful opportunities for shore side dining and entertainment when you book a yacht charter in the Virgin Islands.
- Do you want an expert to do the sailing for you and to be your guide to the British Virgin Islands? If so, consider that your Virgin Islands yacht charter can include a Captain provided by your charter service. The charter service providers will also happily arrange for your captain to be an accredited sailing instructor such that you can use your luxury yacht charter to qualify you to be your own Captain for future charter adventures. Check out our blog on how you can combine your charter holiday with sailing instruction.
- Finally, for the ultimate in a luxury yacht charter in the Virgin Islands, you can charter a boat including both the Captain and crew/cook. This gives you the whole package; a beautiful boat, a Captain/guide, a cook and crew person, all with full provisioning.
Based on our experience, the larger charter companies may cost slightly more but they can provide you with the complete package or whatever options you choose. The smaller companies are often less expensive and may have more personal connections to captains and crew.